Nintendo Online Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Super Smash Bros. U Thread of Speculation, Praying, and Discussion
by Knuckles Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 pm

» The Happy Birthday Thread
by NoUsernameHere Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:25 am

» The Word Game
by KiDasharus Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 am

» The Ultimate Nintendo Villain: The Search (Round 12)
by Ideal Hero Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 pm

» Mega Man 7 Review (SNES)
by Capn' Pancakes Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:45 am

» The Ultimate Nintendo Villain: The Search (Round 11)
by NoUsernameHere Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux)

Go down

Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux) Empty Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux)

A quest to save bunnies from slavery and red flower-shaped steroids!

Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux) 250px-Cave_Story_title_screen
Ah, Cave Story. An indie classic from 2004 that has been ported both Officially and Unofficially to a ton of platforms, even a calculator (seriously, google "cave story ti calculator")!
So what makes this game so memorable and great? Let's get started.

Plot:
Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux) Screen_6
You are a robot who wake up in some cave with no memory of who you are or whatever. You escape, and fall into a deeper part of the cave: a small village inhabited by rabbit creatures called Mimiga. You embark on a quest to save the Mimiga from a devious doctor who uses red flowers to turn the Mimiga into crazy huge buff monsters. Along the way, you meet unique characters and enemies. You'll have to play the game to see how deep and dark the story really is.

Gameplay:
Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux) Screen_4
You're a crazy gunslinging robot with a huge arsenal such as a sword imbued with the spirit of a ninja rabbit, a booster pack created by a crazy doctor, a chargeable lazor, a bubble launcher and more! This game has a lot of hit-and-run, reminiscent of the difficult MegaMan Zero series for the GBA, except you can shoot in 4 different directions, making for intense fights. This game would probably be really hard if you haven't played a lot of Megaman before. The level design is great, there's a lot of challenges and puzzles that you have to solve, and once you do, you feel like a badass mini Samus Aran. It takes about 20~ hours to complete, if you're not so experienced with the hit-and-run thing. The only flaw I see it that it might be TOO hard, and that you have to do a LOT of specific actions to get the good endings.

Sound:
You'll probably be humming out the few 8-bit songs in this game once you're done with it. You'll get a lot of NES nostalgia with the high pitches and such. It's a bit hard to notice, though, with all the insane 8-bit shooting action that goes on. The sound effects are great, too.

Graphics:
Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux) 806844-cave
The graphics in this game remind you a lot of the NES era. It's a bit dark, but hey, it's called Cave Story for a reason. The 3DS remake and the WiiWare 16-bit remake are great as well, and are definitely an improvement. I can say I liked the WiiWare style best, because I have a lot of memories from the 16-bit era.

Overall:
SCORE: 8.5/10 - Great, but a few problems in the story and I don't really like the horribly dark atmosphere of the game. How dark? THE "REAL" LAST STAGE TAKES PLACE IN
spoiler alert!:
Other than that, this is an AMAZING game. I highly recommend it, especially since the PC version is FREE and the 3DS and DSi ones only cost 10 bucks.

Last edited by Cyb3Rnite on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Cyb3Rnite
Cyb3Rnite

Exp. Points : 268

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Cave Story (PC, WiiWare, DSiWare, MacOSX, 3DS, Linux) :: Comments

Professor Clayton

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 am by Professor Clayton

Nice review! I've never played it. D:
I may get it now though, as I never read a review. Razz

Back to top Go down

Cyb3Rnite

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 am by Cyb3Rnite

Thanks! After playing a PSP port of the original, and trying it out on WiiWare, I might get the 3DS eShop one. It's such a great game~

Back to top Go down

KiDasharus

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 am by KiDasharus

YOU FORGOT IT'S ON iOS TOO... I think it is, at least

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting this on the eShop for a while, nice review.

Back to top Go down

Cyb3Rnite

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 am by Cyb3Rnite

I don't have an iPhone...
It's been released on countless platforms. I'll Google it.
Anyway, thanks! I heard the Curly mode is glitchy on the eShop one. Shame.. Maybe they'll update it. Or maybe they already have. Either way, get it! Soon! It's awesome!

EDIT: oh wait... nintendolife (dot) com/news/2012/10/cave_story_fix_is_coming_soon

Back to top Go down

KiDasharus

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am by KiDasharus

I have an iPod Touch and I only used it recently to play Ace Attorney, and I remmeber looking up Cave Story but I forget if it was ever actually ported there. Regardless, I'll have to pick this up someday!

Back to top Go down

Cyb3Rnite

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 am by Cyb3Rnite

It wasn't...

Oh, by the way, Studio Pixel is making a new game called Gero Blaster for the 3DS and iOS (and the Vita, but no one cares about that). It looks great. I bet it plays a lot like Cave Story. I'll review it if I can get my hands on it.

Back to top Go down

Capn' Pancakes

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am by Capn' Pancakes

Great review Cybie!
Cave Story is definitely a must play for anyone. It's really a special game even though it's been re-released so many dang times.

Back to top Go down

Cyb3Rnite

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am by Cyb3Rnite

...Cybie?

Back to top Go down

Capn' Pancakes

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm by Capn' Pancakes

Indeed. I give people nicknames because i'm too lazy to type their full name out tongue

Back to top Go down

Wonder_Mask

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:33 pm by Wonder_Mask

Yeah, everybody started calling me Happy, so now I feel like one of the seven dwarves or something. tongue
But yeah, this is really fun, even if it's a spot too easy for my tastes. Razz

Back to top Go down

Cyb3Rnite

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm by Cyb3Rnite

Cybie. I like it. Y'all should call me Cybi3 now.

Back to top Go down

Knuckles

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:42 am by Knuckles

@Happy_Mask We are all lazy, but I still type out your name.
Funny how I'm called Knux when I never had an initial liking for it, but its grown on me.
Oh, and only you can call me "Unlike Sonic I don't chuckle", the rest of you can call me Knuckles

Anyway, easily one of the best games on the eShop, I had a bunch of fun with the DSiWare version, but I just stopped playing after the 3rd/4th playthrough. The magic had worn off, and I got tired of the long, yet fun quest. It became a little teadious after a few playthroughs, but was fine in the first one.

Back to top Go down

Cyb3Rnite

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:22 am by Cyb3Rnite

I haven't even gotten to the "real" last level yet.

Back to top Go down

Sir Anthony

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:08 am by Sir Anthony

Great review @cybi!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down